Monday, July 26, 2010

more of the market - samosas and chili pitas

IMG_6135 IMG_6133

Golden fried samosas with a mixture of peas, carrots, potatoes, and curry spices served with a sweet tomato sauce. The perfect balance of smokey and sweet together in a crisp crust... and only €3 at the market. (The line is usually long, but definitely worth the wait--you won't be disappointed!)

IMG_6211 IMG_6210

Another food stall I wish I had tried sooner was the chili stand. The woman who runs it was very friendly. She told me all about how she got the recipe for her chili con carne from a restaurant in Cambridge, MA where she used to live. We reminisced about New England and talked some about Galway and she told me all about her beet relish (and isn't it a beautiful color?). I originally ordered a hummus wrap with beet relish (see left), but after hearing her talk about how much she loved this chili recipe, I had to try it. Luckily, my friend Claire was going to order the hummus wrap and gladly took it off my hands. My chili wrap was delicious. It was slow cooked and had a mellow blend of spices and a slight tang. Topped with cheese, lettuce and red onion, it was as beautiful as it was delicious. If you get the chance to chat up food vendors at a farmers market, I highly suggest it. Food tastes better when you understand the story behind it and the love that goes into it. (yes that's cheesey, but it's 100% true)

No comments:

Post a Comment